Phase 2 DFMO preventative trials


(Sam Saffron) split this topic #61

A post was split to a new topic: Photon vs proton radiotherapy


(Alexey) #62

Hi Kyle, thanks for the article!
I think it was asked/discussed for many times, but are there any plans to offer DFMO in Europe?..


(Kyle Matthews) #63

Nothing concrete, no. It’s something we’d like to see happen, but have no official plans for currently.


(jindrich daniel) #64

hi kyle
who is the best to contact in US for dfmo?
I have contacted dr scholler from helen devos children hospital and received already some documents.
we really think about to get there prior or post IT if our daughter stays in remission.
or have you any other usefull informations for us?
br jindrich


(Kyle Matthews) #65

Hey there, Dr Sholler and her team are the correct contact for DFMO discussions. The info at https://beatcc.org/contact/ is current.


(Daniel Witt Corell) #66

Hi

We are talking about doing the DMFO trial at the moment, when my son is done with frontline in April.

Just got this from Dr. Shollers team:

International patients:

Hello Daniel-
Thank you for your inquiry. Here is some quick

  1. Trial costs- there are 6 required visits during the 2 year trial receiving medications. There are 2 answers for costs…IF Dr. Sholler will accept the scans from your home institution, it will be ~$1000 each visit. If we have to do the scans here, it will be ~$20,000 each visit.
  2. If you scan at home, your visit will be one full day in clinic. If you scan here, it will be 3 days.
  3. You will be outpatient during your visit here.
  4. The DFMO is provided by the study, and there is no cost.
  5. You will have to enroll by 60 days after your last dose of therapy (immunotherapy).

On top of that, you have travel cost etc.

This is recieved yesterday January 2019.

Just wanted to share.

Daniel


(Kelly) #67

Thank you for your information, Daniel. Its a giant bill for international patient.


(Daniel Witt Corell) #68

Yes it is a massive bill for international patients.

We have just talked to our doctor about it, and he has seen the numbers from the DFMO trial, and are very curious. He would talk to some of his collegues in UK what they thought of it.

Our son will finish his immunotherapy in May, and then we will hopefully join the trial. Our doctor was open to do the scans at home as my son is going to have 8 scans doing a 2 year period anyways and therefore it should be able to align it with the trial.

Then we are “only” looking at a bill of 31.000 dollars over a 2 year period. ( hospital 6000 dollars and travel expenses for the rest )


(Alexey) #69

This is not update about preventive trial, but still DFMO: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-01-potential-cancer-children-neuroblastoma.html


(barbara) #70

That is very interesting for me, as my son (high risk NBL, mycn amplified, NED) has an ultra rare genetic condition called Snyder Robinson Syndrome (SRS), which is characterised by a lack of polyamines. He responded very well to the treatment and is NED since 2 years. This article strengthens my opinion that there must be a correlation between the good outcome and SRS.
Any thoughts from anyone? :wink:


(Sumera Hassan) #71

Hi Daniel,
Could you please tell me which country you are based in? You mentioned your doctor will talk to colleagues in the UK so I am curious if you are living in the UK? If so, will the scans your doctor will do over the two years be coveted by the nhs or privately funded?
Look forward to your reply. Thanks in advance.

Sumera


(Daniel Witt Corell) #72

Hi Sumera

We are from Denmark.

Our Doctor has workrd with neuroblastoma in UK for two years, but are back in Denmark now.

We are waiting for answer if we can get it covered by Danish healt Care - will have an answer by the end of the week.

Our doctor has approved the trial, after talking with Dr. Sholler.


(Jelena Magic) #73

Hi all,
Just and update - had a chat with an oncology consultant at the Royal Children’s in Melbourne, Dr Martin Campbell. They are looking at bringing DFMO to Australia, he’s said it will likely be available in 4-6 months’ time at the RCH. Will keep you posted if anyone is interested in exploring options in this part of the world.